Attesting Ethiopian Documents (FAQs)

Frequently Asked Questions about Ethiopian document legalization services

Can Ethiopian documents be legalized by Apostille?

Ethiopia is not a member of the Apostille Convention and does not issue Apostille stamps. Documents legalized in Ethiopia need additional authentication by the embassy of the receiving country in Addis Ababa before they can be used.

For further information, see:
Right arrowEthiopia Attestation Services

Documents Required for Germany
Ethiopian public documents cannot be legalised for use in Germany. The German Embassy may agree to carry out a document verification, but only upon a request issued by a German authority. Copies of Ethiopian public documents can only be authenticated if the authenticity of the original can be determined without a doubt, i. e. documents with security features such as drivers’ licenses or passports.
Ethiopian documents cannot be legalised. On request of German authorities, the Embassy can carry out a document verification. Private individuals cannot initiate a document verification. Verification of Ethiopian documents for use in GermanyExternal link (opens in new tab)

Back to Questions

What types of documents can be legalized in Ethiopia for use abroad?

Ethiopian documents that can be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs include:

  • Ethipioan marriage and birth certificates
  • Certificates of single status
  • School Leaving Certificates
  • Education diplomas and certificates
  • Degree certificates from Ethiopian universities
  • Medical certificates
  • Criminal Record Certificates issued by the Ethiopian Federal Police
  • Court document
  • Trade and investment documents, including certificates of origin and export certificates
  • Powers of attorney

To confirm whether your document is eligible for legalization in Ethiopia, contact us and we’ll check your document free of charge. For further information about legalizing documents in Ethiopia and for assistance obtaining official copies of Ethiopian documents, see:
Right arrowCertify documents issued in Ethiopia for use abroad

Back to Questions

How can I obtain my Ethiopian Criminal Record Certificate to use abroad?

Ethiopian Certificates of Good Conduct (police clearance certificate) can be obtained from the Apply for Ethiopian police background check Ethiopian Federal PoliceExternal link (opens in new tab) (Forensic Investigation Department). Certificates are available to anyone residing in Ethiopia for more than six months. A set of fingerprints must be provided.

Isarey can obtain Ethiopian Criminal Record Certificates for clients requiring certificates authenticated and legalized for use abroad. Please contact us for assistance.

Back to Questions

Where can I see reviews of Isarey's Ethiopian Attestation and Apostille Services?

You can see reviews from past clients who have used our attestation and apostille services:

Back to Questions

How can I obtain a copy of an Ethiopian birth, marriage or death certificate?

Ethiopian death, marriage and birth certificates are available from the Vital Events Statics Registration Agency in the district where the birth death or marriage took place. For assistance with obtaining certified copies of Ethiopian birth, death and marriage certificates, please contact us.

Back to Questions

How can I legalize an Ethiopian criminal record certificate to use abroad?

Ethiopian Certificates of Good Conducts (Police Clearance Certificates) issued by the Ethiopian Federal Police Commission can be legalized at the Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then attested by the embassy of the requesting country in Addis Ababa.

Back to Questions

How can I legalize an Ethiopian university degree certificate to use abroad?

Ethiopian University degree certificates, diplomas and transcripts can be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then at the embassy of the recipient country in Addis Ababa. Documents from public universities must be certified by the office of the university registrar. Documents from private, non-government universities must be certified by the Ethiopian Higher Education Quality and Relevance Agency.

Back to Questions

How can I get a quote to certify my documents?

To receive a quote, you can upload your documents using our online quotation form or send us your documents by email. After reviewing your documents and requirements, we will get back to you with a quotation:

If you don’t have the documents available, just describe the documents you need to certify, and we will get back to you with an estimation of cost and delivery times.

Using our quotation form, your documents will be uploaded over a secure connection and immediately encrypted on our server. For added protection, you can upload password-protected files ( PDFExternal link (opens in new tab), Microsoft Office 365: Save a password protected document to prevent unauthorized people from opening it. Office DocumentsExternal link (opens in new tab), WinRAR Encryption Frequently asked question (FAQ) RAR foldersExternal link (opens in new tab)) and provide us with the passwords separately.

PERSONAL DATA: If your documents contain personal data belonging to people outside your household, please ensure that you are authorised to share this data before uploading your documents. If your documents contain sensitive personal data, such as biometric data, medical data or data on criminal convictions, please ensure that you indicate this when prompted, upon submitting your documents. For further information on our processing of personal data contained in uploaded documents, please see:
Privacy Policy (Customer Inquiries)

For further information on confidentiality in our handling of document content please see:
Confidentiality (Client Content)